Senior Character Artist
Space Ape Games is a Mobile / Social Gaming startup founded in 2012 located in Soho, London. We’re a small, high-performing team with big aspirations to make the highest quality and most successful games on your smartphone and tablet.
Overview of the job:
We are looking for a Senior Character Artist to join our internal development team to help create world-class, iconic characters that will exist as the foundation for the new game brands and franchises we are creating.
Working original projects for iOS and Android. We are looking for T-shaped candidates who excel in at least one discipline such as modelling, but are also capable of helping out on other related tasks when required. Working with the Studio Art Director you will help drive the team (internal and external partners) to produce high quality assets through effective communication, accurate detailed planning, and active mentorship.
You will set the example for individual contributors by creating highly compelling artwork that meets the visual and technical requirements of the game whilst serving as the benchmark for artistic excellence and work ethic. You will drive the art creation for a high end mobile project. Ensuring that cutting edge visuals are achieved while successfully guiding the art team through the production.
At Space Ape Games we don’t believe in unnecessary bureaucracy, so no complex approval systems and hierarchies. Our art team is extremely passionate, goal focussed and highly driven. We believe that by working closely as a team, only the very best work is created! If you think you would thrive in this atmosphere then you might just be the Artist we are looking for.
- Create high quality characters including organic and non-organic assets.
- Produce character conceptual art helping drive overall design.
- Create deformable and efficient models with clean topology and optimized UV layouts.
- Create blockout meshes for rigging and help riggers/animators with skinning as required.
- Produce character renders for marketing assets and game launch content.
- Work closely with the project Art Director, Designers, and Engineers to establish the production pipeline and best practices for the game.
- Take ownership of the milestone planning, day-to-day feedback communications, and final quality of deliverables from various external partners (outsourcing).
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example and successful team work, giving feedback and direction where needed.
- An advanced knowledge of sculpting human anatomy, shape, light and form.
- Ability to work in a variety of styles from realistic to highly stylised.
- Excellent 3D modelling, texturing and asset creation.
- Strong conceptual and design skills.
- Knowledge of optimization – working with lower resolution textures and low-poly game meshes, as well as experience or a desire to work with more high resolution assets.
- Expert knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows.
- Extensive knowledge of Maya, ZBrush and Photoshop.
- Excellent communication skills as a leader, collaborator and mentor.
- A professional, pro-active & collaborative work attitude, with excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Passion for games & mobile gaming.
- A "raise the bar" attitude.
- The ability to work in different styles & genres.
- Experienced developing for next generation consoles.
- Knowledge or experience of developing for iOS.
- Experience developing games using Unity.
- Understanding of animation and technical art pipelines.
- Knowledge of other software such as Marmoset, Substance Painter/Designer After Effects, Premiere.
- Additional knowledge of traditional arts, photography, sculpting.
- Proficiency in classic drawing, storyboard and / or illustration.
- Experience with version control system, eg. Git.