Being a Devop at Space Ape is an important role. On our existing titles, you’ll be responsible for maintaining the quality of our players’ experience, working with the team to roll out new features and upgrades and finding new ways to optimise the stacks. On our in-dev titles, you’ll be working with the development team to build out new stacks, solve new problems and prepare for big scale launches.
Along the way, you’ll learn how we use tools to build and update our stacks and roll them out without impacting our players and developers. You’ll also learn how we write those tools using languages such as Ruby, Angular and Go. Eventually, you’ll learn what it is that our teams need and start bringing fresh ideas for how we can make things better; for instance, improving our containerisation platform, developing serverless workloads or tightening the security of our platforms.
You can read more about our journey at our blog ~ https://tech.spaceapegames.com/
- Work in dedicated game teams to design and build the infrastructure and tools we need to run games played by millions of people
- Continually improve reliability, performance and insight on all our services
- Build tools to help other Space Apes run our games more effectively
- Be part of a 24x7x365 operations team and be there to support high profile launches and game events
- Take ownership of issues and own them through to resolution
- Be a Devops evangelist both inside and outside the business and help maintain a healthy, inquisitive culture
We’re cloud and mobile native, so you’ll be working with a host of technologies that are leading the next generation of internet scale systems, and you will have the chance to directly influence our current and future choices.
- Ubuntu Linux
- Chef (LWRP, custom libraries, custom knife plugins)
- Amazon Web Services (including EC2, Autoscaling, Cloudformation)
- Ruby (including Rails, Sinatra)
We're also working with Docker, Kubernetes, ECS and Go as we build out platforms for our future.
We're looking for passionate, productive, team-players who are self-starters. But we know that everyone's different and so, even if you don't have everything we write about here, it doesn't mean we don't want to talk. Let us know what excites you about Space Ape and let's see!
- Passion for operations
- Experience running things at scale
- Experience at writing code in Ruby/Python/Scala/Go or similar
- Good knowledge of the AWS suite of products and their APIs
- Experience of working in an Agile development environment
We believe that happiness is important. We strive to create a happy and productive working environment. Our studio is really cool. It is nice, bright, and open, the kitchen is stocked and the Foosball table is wifi-enabled. We also offer:
- Tax-advantaged stock option plan on top of a competitive salary
- Whole-company performance benefits
- Private healthcare Insurance
- Season ticket travel loan
- Discount at our local gym
- Free breakfast and fully stocked kitchen
- Regular company and team lunches
- Frequent Company Events: Seasonal Parties, Cinema, Game Jams, Go Kart, Foosball, Board & LAN Game nights
- Personal training and conference budget