Job title: Data Engineer Reports to: Head of Analytics
Current location: Soho, London Status: Full time
Space Ape’s mission is to make the highest quality and most successful mobile games in the world. And we’re just getting started.
Our company is built around the belief that small empowered teams make the best games. We believe this enables us to innovate, move faster and have more creative ownership.
At this important stage of the company’s growth, we are looking for a Data Engineer to work closely with our games teams that are focused on making the next top grossing title!
About the role
As a Data Engineer you will be working alongside our exciting Senior Data Engineer, to develop, maintain and evolve the analytics stack. Stack-wise we use Swrve and Amazon Kinesis Firehose for event collection, Python and Spark for data manipulation, Amazon Data Pipeline for orchestration and Amazon Redshift as our SQL data warehouse.
It's not essential for someone to have bags of experience, but to be successful you will need strong engineering fundamentals and be passionate about moving into or progressing further within a Data Engineering role. The role offers a real opportunity to learn and grow, working with cutting-edge systems and being part of a team of expert engineers and data scientists.
At Space Ape people are our most important resource. We look for Passionate, Productive, Team Players and pride ourselves on being self-motivated. There’s no bureaucracy here, we just get things done. The next big game can come from any one of us and YOU can be a key part of our journey
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders across the studio to understand Data Warehousing needs, improve processes via automation and provide accurate data to drive informed product decisions.
- Integrate new data sources allowing us to provide better insights into our player behaviour.
- Managing good relationships with our third party data providers.
- Develop and maintain our Big Data & Machine Learning Infrastructure.
- Enhance and improve the quality of our Data Lake.
- Resolve data issues in a timely manner.
- Look for and evaluate new technologies to ensure that our data stack can serve the needs of our stakeholders and scale to support new and existing games.
- Deploy, maintain and operate applications in our production environment.
- Previous experience of Big Data systems - including technologies like Google BigQuery, Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Kafka, Presto, Redshift and Spark/Spark SQL.
- Prior experience in maintaining and deploying applications in production environments.
- Strong SQL skills and experience of database performance tuning.
- Experience with; Python, SQL and ideally a solid grounding in either Java or Scala or another similar language.
- Strong engineering fundamentals, such as a degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or similar field.
- Experience in ETL development and processing of large datasets.
- Track record of evaluating and implementing new data stacks.
- Creating and managing complex workflows and data pipelines.
- Proven experience in building Big Data Infrastructures and solving large-scale complex data challenges.
- Ability to work across multiple teams, disciplines and manage multiple stakeholders.
- Good attention to detail while remaining pragmatic and keeping an eye on the big picture.
- Experience working with Cloud providers such as AWS or GCP.
- Strong communicator.
About Space Ape
Space Ape Games is an award winning mobile games company with a talented team of 100+ gamers in the heart of London.
We have delivered four successful mobile games - Samurai Siege, Rival Kingdoms, Transformers: Earth Wars and Fastlane, and we are planning multiple new game launches in 2017.
Recently, Space Ape has entered a long-term strategic partnership with Supercell. We are still independent and masters of our own destiny, but now we’ve got Supercell’s support to help us make and distribute massive hit games. Our mission is unchanged: to make the world’s best mobile games.
For our mission to succeed, we need a few more great people. If you want to have a key role on a gaming journey-of-a-lifetime, please apply to join our team.
We have some great benefits to take advantage of, including a stock option plan, private health care, and personal training budget.
Additionally, there is free breakfast, a fully stocked kitchen with the regular company and team lunches. We host internal game jams, company events, seasonal parties, cinema outings and conferences. There is also foosball, pinball, consoles, board and LAN game nights.
Opening date for applications: Tuesday 5th September 2017
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 4th October 2017