Senior Artist/Art Director
Space Ape’s mission is to make the highest quality and most successful mobile games in the world. And we’re just getting started.
Our company is built around the belief that small empowered teams make the best games. We believe this enables us to innovate, move faster and have more creative ownership.
At this important stage of the company’s growth, we are looking for a talented artist to work closely with our games teams that are focused on making the next top grossing title!
About the role
At Space Ape, we are focused on building world-class, franchisable brands and IP. Our games are fun, fresh and brimming with personality.
As a Senior Artist, Art Director you will be at the forefront of one of our new titles. You will drive both the artistic vision and the internal team to produce high quality assets through effective communication, accurate detailed planning, and active mentorship.
You will set the example for individual contributors by creating highly compelling artwork that meets the visual and technical requirements of the game whilst serving as the benchmark for artistic excellence and work ethic.
The ideal candidate should possess a mobile first attitude with strong art direction and communication skills. They should also have experience in creating art for casual, cartoon, stylized and mid-core mobile games.
At Space Ape Games we don’t believe in unnecessary bureaucracy, so no complex approval systems and hierarchies. If you think you would thrive in this atmosphere then you might just be the artist we are looking for.
- Work closely with the product owner, designers and engineers to establish the production pipeline and best practices for the game.
- Create and maintain the brand/art style guides and technical documentation.
- Mentor artists along their career paths, setting challenges to encourage growth.
- Take ownership of the milestone planning, day-to-day feedback communications, and final quality of deliverables from various external partners (outsourcing)
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example and successful team work, giving feedback and direction where needed.
- Understand and work within project requirements and constraints.
- Keep up to date with game artwork trends and influences.
- Produce creative solutions to brand development through the creation of conceptual art for characters, environments and gameplay artwork.
- At least 5 years experience creating artwork for games.
- At least 1 shipped title as an Art Lead.
- Excellent communication skills as a leader, collaborator and mentor.
- Technical expertise and familiarity with game-engines & their performance requirements.
- Excellent 3D modelling, texturing and asset creation.
- Extensive knowledge of Maya and Photoshop.
- An avid interest in all types of art & graphic design.
- A professional, pro-active & collaborative work attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Enjoy the feedback process as the best way to create fantastic visuals.
- Passion for games & mobile gaming.
- A "raise the bar" attitude.
About Space Ape
Space Ape Games is an award winning mobile games company with a talented team of 100+ gamers in the heart of London.
We have delivered four successful mobile games - Samurai Siege, Rival Kingdoms, Transformers: Earth Wars and Fastlane: Road to Revenge, with multiple new and exciting things going on behind the scenes.
Recently, Space Ape has entered a long-term strategic partnership with Supercell. We are still independent and masters of our own destiny, but now we’ve got Supercell’s support to help us make and distribute massive hit games. Our mission is unchanged: to make the world’s best mobile games.
For our mission to succeed, we need a few more great people. If you want to have a key role on a gaming journey-of-a-lifetime, please apply to join our team.
We have some great benefits to take advantage of, including a stock option plan, private health care, and personal training budget.
Additionally, there is free breakfast, a fully stocked kitchen with the regular company and team lunches. We host internal game jams, company events, seasonal parties, cinema outings and conferences. There is also foosball, pinball, consoles, board and LAN game nights.